Thursday, February 21, 2008

Mini me

It's weird how genes get passed on from one generation to the next. From as long as I can remember people have always said I looked like my dad, and I have to admit it's true. You can see the resemblance between us at similar ages in photographs, and as I've grown older I think I've grown to look more like him. But it's not just my dad I have things in common with. I have a similar profile to my grandad on my mum's side. When he was in the war someone drew and cut his profile out of black card which we have framed at home. I used to tell people it was me and they believed me. The resemblance was that uncanny. I also apparently have his feet.

Dad and Seren

So, we were curious to see who Seren might look like. The first time I saw her I thought she looked a little like my dad, or my brother's kid Max, but also a little like Laura's brother Nathan. But it wasn't a striking resemblance by any means. Neither Laura or I saw any strong likenesses to ourselves though, and I'm not sure we do yet. But recently a few people seem to think that she looks like me, or my dad, or Max, which is actually more or less the same thing as we all look a little alike.

Me an my nephew Max

I guess she's still too young to tell yet, and she'll change a lot. One thing's for sure though, she's got her mother's feet.

2 comments:

Burton Meahl said...

Good post! I remember thinking how you looked a lot like your father when I saw him the first time when we were young-uns.

When the boys were young and pudgy, everyone said they looked like me. Now that Tyler is older and taller/skinny - they say his features resemble Kelly. Toby is starting to thin out a bit, but we get more comments that he looks like me. I think it changes constantly. Truth is, I seem to notice that if someone knows me a lot more, they seem to see the resemblance. If they know Kelly a lot more, they see the resemblance there.

Of course, there is still the whole thing that Tyler is a red-head and we have not had red-heads in either family for a couple of generations. Someone make sure you give me something better than a mailman joke. I have heard too many of those!

Wayne said...

Well said, Burt. You're right about that "recognizing resemblance is in the eye of the beholder" thing. Which is why I've been hesitant to tell Steve anything about who I think Seren resembles.

But I'll say it now. I've seen pictures where I can definitely see the Steve factor. But like Burt said, that's probably based on knowing Steve so well.

Take Bella for instance. Anyone who knows Cristina and me can usually easily tell that Bella resembles Cristina more than me. And if you've ever seen pics of Cristina when she was young, or Cristina's sister, you'll get even more confirmation. But occasionally, someone that knows me but doesn't know Cristina, will say "Oh! She looks just like you!" What?! What?!

I get a little annoyed when people say the kid looks just like a certain parent, when really the only glaring similarity might be something like hair color.

Anyway, genes are a fascinating thing. As your kids get older, though, the emotional/social similarities are even more interesting than physical stuff. Stay tuned for that.

And Burt, it wasn't the mailman. It was Carrot Top. He is from Cocoa Beach, isn't he?