Sunday, August 24, 2008

South Queensferry

We took a drive up to South Queensferry yesterday, just to the north of Edinburgh on the south shore of the Firth of Forth. It's a pretty little village, sandwiched between the famous Forth Rail Bridge, built in 1890, and the Forth Road Bridge, built in 1964. They're actually planning a third bridge, the other side of the road bridge.

It was a nice sunny day. We had some ice cream and went for a nice walk. One of the reasons I was keen to go there though was to see one of the projects that I'd worked on as Project Architect at my last practice - some 'sustainable housing' - about 60 units. I worked on it for about two years and it's taken this long to get out of the ground (I left almost 3 years ago!) Anyway, it's looking pretty good. Much as I'd imagined it. When it's finished it'll be clad in a mixture of brick and timber. One of the blocks is pretty much finished. The timber frames are up for the rest, but the timber and brick outer skins are still to be done.

The blocks are set around a central community garden, which is till a big pile of mud at the moment. It should be a good scheme when it's finished I hope.

No comments: