Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Seren dancing

I'd read in one of the baby books that there are some things you can try to test the baby's reflexes 'for fun'. There's the Startle, or Moro reflex (she passed this one in the hospital before she came home); the plantar reflex (when the sole of the baby's foot is gently stroked from the heel to toe, the baby's toes flare upwards and the foot turns in); the rooting and sucking reflexes (she's got those down pat); the Palmer grasping reflex (a piece of trivia - a newborn's grasp may be powerful enough to support their full body weight! - not that we've tried that I hasten to add).

I thought I'd try the walking, or stepping reflex today. Basically this involves holding the baby upright on a flat surface under the arms - she's supposed to lift one leg and then the other taking what seem to be 'steps'. Not sure how well it worked but she made a really funny face when I tried it, as if she's just discovered something new - which I guess she had. Anyway, Laura videoed it with her camera (so the quality is a little better). It looks like she's dancing too, rather than walking, but I reckon that's a pass. :)

2 comments:

Wayne said...

Having fun with your new toy, I see!

Wayne said...

At least give that girl some music.