Friday, December 28, 2007

It's a Girl! (Part Two)

Gosh. It's 2am and I've suddenly woken up wide awake. My head's spinning round and round. Maybe a blog will help unload some of it.

So, wanted to tell you a bit more about the birth and show the first couple of pictures of Seren. It's weird, even when I type her name. Here's this little person that we've brought into the world; completely powerless over one of the most important things about someone that helps to form who they are, I guess. I suppose it depends on your view. Does the name shape the person, or does the person shape the name? 'Wayne', 'Burt', 'Dom' and 'Dame'. These words, these names, have completely individual and specific meaning to me. In an instant, they conjure up all sorts of images and memories. I guess that's helped, to some extent, by the fact that I don't know anyone else with those names. Not at this point in my life at any rate. Sure, I've met other people named Dominick, and Damian, and maybe even Wayne; I don't think I've ever met anyone else called Burton come to think of it. Hmm. But I've sure as hell met plenty of people called Steve. Both 'real' and 'fake' Steve's ('Steven' as opposed to 'Stephen'. Who are they kidding? There's clearly no 'v' in Stephen. Ooh, makes me so mad! ) Still, even though that's a pretty popular name (or is it just 'common?), I will always associate my name with me. My friend Steven Downie (note the 'correct' spelling) shares my name...but it's sort of...different. That's his name.

Anyway, I guess when we were thinking about names for our baby we wanted to give him / her something a bit 'special', or unusual. Something that they could feel was theirs. Not so unique that they were like they only one on the planet (Moon Unit Zappa anyone?), but just maybe something a bit less common (or is it 'popular'?) than say, 'Steve', or 'Laura' (sorry honey). I think there's a pretty conscious decision, certainly on my part, to do that with the name we've chosen. We're already met with somewhat quizzical looks when we tell people her name. Either that or they mishear it; "Sarah? Oh, that's a nice name!" Actually, 'Seren' is one of the 20 most popular names chosen in Wales, where it originates, so it's actually not that uncommon in some - not so far away - places.

So, I hope Seren likes her name, and will forgive us for being a little self indulgent perhaps in choosing something a little different. We think it's lovely, and so is she.

Seren Skye Turney Malone - Dec. 27th 2007

Oops. Didn't really talk about the birth! Next blog...

4 comments:

Burton Meahl said...

I know exactly what you mean about the name thing. We are really going over name lists more than we ever have for some of the same reasons. We chose Tyler's name right at the start of the boom in popularity (commonality?) and Toby is still not so popular. Either way, when I hear those names, I see one person. I had heard the name Seren before, but have no pictures that come to mind - other than the one you have posted (which is precious - by the way!)
And for the record, there exists another person with my first and last name - in Ohio. It has been a long time, but I think he is a scientist of some sort - weird.
For example, Wayne brings to memory only one person but I hear the name every now and then. If I ever met someone with Wayne's last name and first name - it would be a "something's seriously wrong with this picture" situation.
On the other end of the spectrum, one of my buddies locally that I hang out with is Chris Smith. He has 3 or 4 pages in the phone book dedicated to his name and he jokes about it too.
I will probably have another names post or two before we decide. We have a while though.

Fran Eury said...

What a beautiful baby! Congratulations proud parents. Enjoy her. Hold here, cuddle her, sing to her and tell her it is from her third Grandmom....You have been like a second son to me all those years.

Burt: Wayne's dad has exactly the same name, remember? And there is nothing seriously wrong with that picture. :-)

Burton Meahl said...

ah - touche Mrs. Eury. Point well taken! I was not firing on all cylinders with that comment, apparently! :-D

Malone said...

Thanks for the warm wishes Grandmom! :) So nice to hear from you Mrs. Eury. She's a real sweetie, we're smittened. We're not doing too bad on the sleeping front so far, but plenty of time for that to change no doubt! I've got plenty of friends to call on for handy tips which is a big help.

Best wishes to you and Mr Eury (aka Wayne!).