Thursday, December 13, 2007

Due date

Well, our baby is due today, though he / she doesn't seem to be showing any signs of wanting to come out yet. Laura's fine, if a little uncomfortable, tired and fed up. But she's holding up well. We're both a little anxious but generally we're okay.

We went to check out a nursery that's nearby this morning. It seems pretty nice. Well within walking distance. Yeah, we're going to try and get the kid in there as soon as possible. I'm kidding of course, although I'm sure they're actually good learning environments to be in. Plenty of hands on stuff, artwork and the old social skills thing in mixing with other kids. It's a whole new world of which I know next to nothing about, other than my own experience but I was a little too young to remember. Actually, we checked it out today because there's a year long waiting list to get in there. Laura's hoping to take a year off work, depending on how she feels, so that would tie in with our future plans. But we'll just see how we feel when we get there. For the time being though it seems a safe plan to get on the list, though we have to put down a deposit. I guess it is a business after all.

So we're now entering that unknown 'waiting period'. We have an appointment with the midwife on Monday, so if nothing's happened by then we'll discuss arranging a date to get induced. Not a nice option from what I hear, but I guess if it comes to that so be it.

Officially my 2 week paternity leave starts today, but luckily I have a considerate employer (one of the benefits of being employed by the government) so my leave will start as soon as we head to the hospital. Following that I'm taking 2 weeks vacation. I've even got 8 days left to take after that so I might go down to a 4-day week for the first little while.

Anyway, that's about it for now. Just thought I should give you an update. I see that the Baby Counter has reached zero. I wonder what it'll say tomorrow?

5 comments:

Wayne said...

It will say "Error! Error! Does not compute!"

Or you'll get the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Oh wait, you're a Mac. You don't get those.

Anyhoo...

Good luck with the birth and call/email/blog as soon as you can. Keep us updated.

Burton Meahl said...

It should be a picture of a baby outside of the womb, right? Waiting is tough...I am sure! Seems like you have waited long enough, especially Laura! Good luck! Glad you have a thoughtful employer.

Burton Meahl said...

okay...it looks like it reset back to 1 day to go...it reminds me of when we sit at a red light and Tyler says he has magic and he will make it turn green....now.....ok......now......ok.
now....See! I have magic!

Wayne said...

You might already know this, but a lot of walking helps to "encourage" labor. I know it's colder than a witch's teat there right now, but maybe you could go to a mall or something and walk. Or IKEA.

Do they have malls in Scotland? I can't remember ever seeing one...

Burton Meahl said...

ah - hahaha - It looks like the countdown now counts up!